The new sports pavilion is Phase 7 of the University of Brighton's Falmer Campus Redevelopment Masterplan. It replaces the existing dilapidated temporary changing rooms and offers much needed improved sporting and changing facilities.
The new building is a two-storey structure with a gross internal floor area of 570m² that nestles into the existing banked landscape. The scale of the building reflects its use and setting, and its design provides a well balanced focal point whilst being sympathetic to its surroundings.
The accommodation comprises:
- 2no. accessible changing rooms, each with a capacity of 18 persons
- 8no. standard changing rooms, each with a capacity of 20 persons
- 2no. official changing rooms, each with a capacity of 3 persons
- 4no. sports seminar rooms with a total capacity of 80 persons
- Lobby and vending area
- Toilet facilities including an accessible toilet
- First aid room
- An external terraced area suitable for use by spectators
The layout of the building has been carefully considered, taking into account recommendations given by Sports England. It is also designed to achieve high environmental standards with an array of photovoltaic cells occupying the roof area.