The appointed task was to convert this Grade II Listed building into a state-of-the-art recording studio. The principal challenge for the team was to implement all the technologies and acoustic fittings required to ensure the best performance for a recording music studio. Along with this, the building was a fully sealed and air-conditioned space with a three-phase supply and very high levels of sound insulation, in the context of an existing listed building that rightly required vital elements of the building to be retained and refurbished.
The original studio dated back to 1905 and was built for Ida Constance Verner, a local artist. Unfortunately, the building had fallen into disrepair, with the roof in danger of collapse. The two party walls, running the entire length of the building and dating back to the 1830s, are constructed of “ancient” shingle and lime mortar and were carefully restored under the supervision of England ornamental plastering. Internally, we recreated multiple skylights within the structure and re-used original feature details that survived, recreating original damaged plaster cornice cherubs, and decorative skylight surrounds.
The key features of the exterior design are, firstly, how it sits in the ground. To provide additional height for the studio, a listed building, the ground floor was lowered, with a ramp extending the entire width of the front facade; and secondly, the reinstatement of the copper roof and its multiple roof lights.
The project also included the restoration & relocation of a memorial cross to Wilford Cole Verner, brother to the artist who built the original studio.
The completed studio faced rigorous tests, proving a sound emission of 130DB could be achieved without disturbing the neighbours.